Construction of Flue Gas Desulphurization System in Ugljevik Thermal Power Plant
The construction of Flue Gas Desulphurization Plant (FGD) is one of the greatest investments in the Ugljevik TPP since its construction.
The Thermal Power Plant Ugljevik consists of one boiler unit with nominal design capacity of 300MW. The thermal power plant is producing electricity for the whole region (approximately 8 % of Bosnia and Herzegovina's demand) as well as heat for the town of Ugljevik. The Thermal Power Plant was build and commissioned in 1985. It is firing brown coal from an open pit coal mine from Bogutovo Selo, approximately 4 km away, with designed annual consumption of 1,800,000 tonnes.
The coal is high in sulphur (approximately 5 %) and has a LHV of 10,000 – 13,000 kJ/kg.Flue gases are discharged through a 310 m high chimney, the highest building in this area.
Financing of the project implementation is procured by Japanese financial institution JICA with a 30-year loan.
Employer:Mixed Holding »Power Utility of the Republic of Srpska, Parent Joint Stock Company, Trebinje – Subsidiary Joint Stock Company »Mine and Thermal Power Plant Ugljevik«, Ugljevik
Scope of works:
Construction of Flue Gas Desulphurization Plant on »turnkey principle«
Consortium partners:Consortium MHPS – MHPS-E – RUDIS Show more info
The Flue Gas Desulphurization Plant is conceived on the basis of wet calcite process. Limestone will be used as absorbent. Technology according to wet calcite process. SO2 content upon treatment < 200 mg/Nm3. The wet process is considered the most efficient and widespread process used in thermal power plants.
Description of works:
The following works are required for the construction of a new FGD plant in Ugljevik Thermal Power Plant on Unit 1:
- Civil works (foundations, buildings and housings, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, drain pits),
- Manufacture and erection of steel structures of the plant,
- Manufacture and erection of technological vessels, technological equipment, installations, pipes, insulation,
- Execution of anticorrosion protection,
- Manufacture and assembly of electrical equipment and installation,
- Execution of the control and instrumentation system,
- Manufacture of lifts, staircases, platforms,
- Execution of firefighting protection of the plant,
- And everything else for the operation of the FGD Plant.
The wet FGD process in the absorber (vertical counter-flow spray tower) is selected on the basis of analyses and studies that the Employer has carried out in previous years and on the basis of the Terms of reference.
The FGD system consists of four main systems:
- Absorber (vertical counter-flow spray tower)
- Limestone handling and milling
- Gypsum dewatering and storage
- FGD waste water treatment and connecting flue gas ducts, booster fan and a wet stack located at the top of the absorber.
- Fuel: brown coal
- Dry flue gas flow: 2,145,500 Nm3/h
- Inlet SO2 concentration (6% O2, dry): 20,000 mg/Nm3
- Outlet SO2 concentration (6% O2, dry): < 200 mg/Nm3